|1642||Abel Tasman anchored off Marion Bay.|
|1772||Captain Nicholas Marion du Fresne anchored in North Bay (Frederick Henry Bay).|
|1792 – 1793||Bruni D’Entrecasteaux sailed into Frederick Henry Bay.|
|1798||George Bass and Matthew Flinders in Frederick Henry Bay.|
Nicholas Baudin in Frederick Henry Bay.
M. Faure charts and names Carlton River (Riviere Brue) and Pittwater (Basin Ransonnet).
|1803||James Meehan, surveyor, passed through part of the Sorell district. The first non-aboriginal to do so.|
|1805||George Prideaux Harris surveyed the Pittwater district.|
|1806||First farms in cultivation in Gloucestor as Sorell District was then known.|
|1812||First land grants confirmed by Governor Macquarie.|
Robert Nash built a windmill on his grant at Sorell Rivulet.
Michael Howe and J. Whitehead, bushrangers, attacked the homesteads of A. Humphrey at Cornhill and B. Reardon at Thornhill.
First regular postal service carried to Pittwater by convicts.
Michael Howe and gang visited Nonsuch, residence of T. Lascelles.
Colonial government purchased land for Pittwater township.
|1817||Whaling took place in Frederick Henry Bay.|
|1817-1822||40th Regiment stationed in Pittwater/Sorell.|
|1819||Pitt Water township established – 9 residents; 60 farms.|
|1820||Tenders called to build school|
Governor Macquarie visited Pitt Water. He named the town Sorell in honour of the Tasmanian Governor.
Gaol built and first public houses licensed.
|1822||Robert Garrett was the first doctor in the district from 1822 – 1827.|
Downward’s water mill built on Iron Creek.
Organised postal services come to Sorell.
Building of St George’s Anglican Church commenced.
Sorell attacked by Matthew Brady’s bushranging gang. Lieutenant Gunn wounded and lost an arm.
Road built from Kangaroo Point (Bellerive) to Pitt Water Bluff.
James Gordon appointed as a magistrate and local coroner.
Military barracks and a watch house built at Sorell and a barracks at East Bay Neck.
|1827-1830||Increasing conflict with aboriginal tribes throughout the district.|
Semaphore signalling stations established East Bay Neck, Sloping Island, Sugarloaf Ridge and Sorell, as part of the Port Arthur to Sorell system.
Ralph Dodge’s ferry began and operated until 1871.
|1831||Sorell settlers take part in the “Black Line.” Governor Arthur based at Sorell during the operation.|
|1832||Princess Royal runs aground near Lewisham with the first 200 free female settlers on board.|
|1834||Downward’s windmill built in “The Circle” at Sorell.|
Dunalley proclaimed a town.
Congregational church built at Carlton.
|1840’s||Robert Blythe was doctor in Sorell and first warden in 1862.|
Ralph Dodge opened a post office at Carlton that closed in 1949.
Presbyterian Church opened in Sorell.
|1844||First known license for the Gordon Highlander Hotel granted to Jonathon Watson.|
|1846||Roman Catholic Church opened in Sorell.|
|1855||Bridge over Sorell Rivulet completed.|
|1856||Sorell Cricket Club formed.|
|1862||Sorell made a municipality and a council was formed.|
|1863||Blue Bell Inn first opened.|
|1864||Subscription library opened on the corner of Walker and Somerville Streets, Sorell.|
|1869||Wattle Hill school opened.|
|1872||Sale yards opened in Cole Street, Sorell opposite the Gordon highlander Hotel. Closed in 1982. Dismantled in 1984.|
|1874||Sorell Causeway opened. Renewed in 1906, 1957 and 2003.|
|1876||Telegraph service to Sorell, George Peacock telegraphist.|
|1877-1880||Renowned artist Haughton Forrest was court bailiff and police superintendent at Sorell.|
Bridge over Iron Creek. Replaced in 1951 and 2013.
|1892||Sorell / Bellerive railway opened. Closed 30 June 1926.|
Major bush fires in December. Livestock and property losses throughout municipality.
First Bream Creek Show.
|1898||Dunalley Hall opened. Destroyed by bushfire January 2013, rebuilt 2014-2015|
|1899||Bream Creek butter factory opened. Closed in 1948.|
|1905||Denison Canal opened at Dunalley.|
|1906||Bream Creek Hall opened.|
|1909||Roy Bridges of Wood’s Farm had his first novel published, followed by 36 more over 41 years. His sister Hilda published 13 novels.|
|1910||Sorell Council Chambers erected in Somerville Street at the corner of Gordon Street.|
|1913||Sorell Tennis Club established.|
|1914||Forcett Hall built.|
|1916||Water connected to Sorell from a reservoir at Cherry Tree Opening, now Pawleena.|
|1930||Electricity connected to Sorell.|
|1938||Schools closed for about 6 months due to polio outbreak.|
|1939||Bushfires destroyed 5 houses near Kellevie.|
|1942||Fish cannery opened at Dunalley.|
|1951||Orielton fire brigade commenced.|
|1954||War Memorial Hall opened in Sorell.|
Carlton Beach Surf Life Saving Club formed.
Sorell Causeway upgraded and widened. Second bridge opened.
Richardson’s Abbatoir opened at Sorell. Now Ingham’s chicken processing factory.
Pembroke Masonic Lodge established at Sorell.
Midway Point Community Hall opened.
Sorell Bowls Club established.
|1966||Mains water connected to Midway Point.|
|1967||7 February, devastating bushfires affected Penna, Orielton, Midway Point, Sorell and Kellevie. Property losses and 5 deaths.|
|1969||First Ningana Units for the aged opened in Sorell.|
Sewerage connected to Midway Point.
Midway Point Fire Brigade commenced.
|1971||South Eastern Nursing and Home Care Association Inc established , now South East Community Care Inc.|
|1974||Lions Club of Sorell established.|
|1975||Carlton Park Surf Life Saving Club formed.|
Dodges Ferry Junior Soccer Club formed.
Pittwater Community Centre established at Midway Point – now Pittwater Neighbourhood House.
|1982||Sorell Saleyards closed.|
|1983||John and Barbara Kregor, Joan Pearce, Margaret Long and others established the Historical Society of the Municipality of Sorell Inc.|
|1984||Sorell Junior Sports Committee built a sports complex at Sorell, now called Pembroke Park.|
Combat cameraman Neil Davis killed by tank fire while covering a failed Thai coup in Bangkok.
Rotary Club of Sorell established.
|1986||Pittwater Art Group established.|
|1987||Dodges Ferry School established, then officially opened in May 1988.|
Existing library in Sorell opened.
Purity shopping complex opened in Sorell, now Woolworths.
Dodges Ferry proclaimed a town.
|1990||South East Basketball Association began.|
|1991||Southern Beaches Landcare Coastcare group established.|
Dunalley-Tasman Neighbourhood House Inc established.
Dodges Ferry Fire Brigade began.
Dodges Ferry Recreation Centre gym and community hall opened.
Primrose Sands Community Hall opened.
|1996||Southern Beaches Regional Arts group established.|
|1998||Okines Community House Inc established at Dodges Ferry.|
|2001||Woodvine Nature Reserve proclaimed. The 377 hectare property was donated by Mr Herbert Ernest Shaw in 1998.|
|2010||National Broadband Network trial at Midway Point, an NBN pioneer town.|
|2011||Purpose-built Okines Community House opened at Dodges Ferry.|
|2012||Coles Plaza supermarket, shopping complex and medical practice opens in Cole Street, Sorell.|
Bushfire destroys Dunalley Primary School, Dunalley Community Hall, Kelly’s Timber Mill and many homes and properties from FOrcett to the Tasman Peninsula.
South East United FC Soccer Club established at Pembroke Park, Sorell.
|2014||Sorell Council Chambers moved from Somerville Street to a new Community Administration Centre behind Sorell Memorial Hall.|
Sorell Irrigation Scheme begins supplying farms in the south east.
Holts Mitre 10 opens a large new store on the corner of Cole and Gordon Streets, Sorell.
South East Suns Netball Association established at Pembroke Park, Sorell.
|2016||Sorell horse ‘Upcups’ owned by Ricky and Tina Polley wins both the Hobart Cup and the Launceston Cup.|
If anyone in the community knows of other dates and events that could be added to the timeline, please contact Sue Wyatt via email – see image on sidebar.