On the eastern shore of Hobart in 1818, there were only three licensed publicans at Herdsman’s Cove, Clarence Plains and Kangaroo Point.
In 1819, only three again outside of Hobart Town – Black Snake, Clarence Plains and Herdsman’s Cove.
In 1820, Herdsmen’s Cove and Black Snake & Old Beach Ferry were the only two outside of Hobart.
The first mention of a licensed publican in the Sorell municipality was in March 1822. But by August 1822, he was in trouble.
I then found mention of Daniel Long being able to sell spirits, wine and beer in the country area at the Plough and Harrow in Sorell Town in 1824. Also mentioned was James Honey at Plough and Harrow at Pitt Water.
By 1830, there were 47 licensed publicans in Hobart Town and 40 in the country area. That included:
J. K. Buscombe, Lennox Arms, Richmond
Joseph Clyne, Gordon Arms, Richmond,
Henry Fisher, Wheat Sheaf, Sorell.
Henry Leigh, Sorell Inn, Sorell.
Dan. Long, Plough and Harrow, Sorell
A Political Association meeting included information about licensed publicans in 1835.
To find out more about the inns and hotels of Sorell in the early 1800s, use the Libraries Tasmania search everything and use Sorell Inn Hotel as your keywords. Remember you will also get information for Port Sorell which you will need to eliminate.
Present day hotels in Sorell include the Pembroke Hotel and the Gordon Highlander, both pictured below.
Reminder:Clicking on images and blue links will take you to the original document.
The Sorell Football Club was formed in 1883 and celebrated 125 years of being a club in 2008 when students from Sorell School (Ben and Brad) gathered this information.
Sorell has had three home grounds:
first was past the last house of Sorell on the Arthur Highway,
second was the Sorell Memorial Oval and
third is Pembroke Park the one currently used by Sorell.
Sorell has played in the following leagues:
South East Districts Football Association
Tasmanian Amateur Football League in 1963
Southern Football League in 1996
and finally the Southern Regional Football League.
In the very early days of the club, all country clubs played only challenge games for a trophy.
Sorell were originally called Pembroke in 1881. The major sponsor of the club is Pembroke Hotel. Max Tuttle was one of the best players in the state. His family owned the Pembroke Hotel. In 1933 he was asked to play for Collingwood but instead he went back to Sorell and captained and coached Sorell.
In 2008, Sorell have 20 life members, and with Tim Weir as president they are sure to win another game!
Some photos taken while visiting the club rooms, showing the building, the oval and some of the trophies.
The club has won premierships in 1937, 1938, 1939, 1952, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1966, 1983 and 1990. All the premierships are on display at the Sorell Hall. It took until 1932 for them to win their first premiership.
Players who have played AFL
Only three players Royce Hart, Tom Collier, Sam Iles have played AFL football.
Royce Hart was a determined player who was willing to put his body on the line for his team. He was so determined that he got a concussion at least six times each season. When he was at school, he played school football.He was vice captain of the team. He played 187 games and kicked 369 goals for Richmond from 1965-1977. Royce was the Richmond captain for four years (1972-1975) and won the best and fairest in 1969 and 1972. He was an All Australian in 1969 and is in both Richmond’s and the AFL’s Team of the Century.
He also tried coaching for a few years with Footscray (1980-1982) but it didn’t go to well. Footscray only won 7 games in his first two years. He trained the players too hard and sacked the players who couldn’t keep up. He ended up getting sacked and started coaching the Richmond reserves then returned to Tasmania and was a commentator for ABC.
Mark Clothier has the most games played in an Eagles jumper with 410 games.
More information from George Quinn interview
The club is 125 years old in 2008, having been founded in 1883. ( Of interest there was a prior club called Pembroke, which started in 1881, possibly changing it’s name to Sorell).
The Amateurs split into Old Scholars and Southern Football League in 1996 and Sorell joined the SFL. It had one year – 2002 when all clubs played Premier League, after the end of the State Wide league, otherwise it has been in the SFL Regional League.
In the very early days of the club, all country clubs played only “challenge” games for a trophy, but sometimes for a pennant and badge. Rules were made up at a meeting of clubs interested in playing in that year and then a team challenged the club who was holding the trophy. Between 1900 and 1910, Sorell had a very successful team, winning the Brown Trophy, which originated in New Norfolk, in 1904,07,08.
They also won the Ellis Dean Trophy, which was donated by the Warden of New Norfolk Council and MHA, Ellis Dean, in 1908. The game had to be played at New Norfolk.
The Sorell footballers and supporters gathered at the Sorell Station, having walked or coming by horse transport. They packed the Sorell Train to Bellerive, where they caught a ferry to New Norfolk. They all walked to the Football Ground followed by most of the population of the town.
They won the game and headed back to Sorell. On the way back they made up the following poem to celebrate their win :-
“ Dean, Dean, Dean, the good old Ellis Dean
It is the finest trophy that New Norfolk ever seen.
We’re not going to tarry, but we are going to carry
Back to Sorell, the good old Ellis Dean. “
George Quinn, remembers his sister Connie reciting this poem, if New Norfolk was ever mentioned. George still knows the poem off by heart. George also has a photo of Connie dressed as Miss Sorell Football. She looks a bit like Queen Victoria
This amazing team also won the Hean Pennant in 1907. This Pennant originated in Sorell, having been donated by the Warden of the Sorell Council, Alec Hean MHA.
I know of three grounds used for football in Sorell :-
Just past the last house in the Sorell township, on the right hand side of the Arthur Highway, roughly opposite the turn off to Nugent.
The Sorell Racecourse. The team played in the middle of the racecourse.
The Sorell Memorial Oval, between the Sorell Hall and the Cypress macrocarpa trees.
Pembroke Park from 1994 until today. ( Pembroke Park was the Sorell Racecourse, until it was destroyed by the 1967 bushfires.)
Of course there were other teams in our area in past times, at Nugent, Wattle Hill, Forcett Bream Creek, Copping and Dunalley, that I know of. And there is a current club at Dodges Ferry.
There were other successful teams prior to Sorell entering into the South East Football Association .
In 1920, Sorell won the Hart Trophy.
In 1926, Sorell won the Hilyard Trophy.
In 1929, Sorell won the Tuttle Trophy
The Tuttles were the owners of the Pembroke Hotel and their son Max Tuttle was one of the best players in Tasmania at the time. He played for Sorell as a boy, then went to Cananore. He was selected in the 1933 Carnival Team and was asked to play with Collingwood, but declined. Instead he came back to be Captain and coach of Sorell
All of these trophies are on display in the Sorell Hall. They should be on display in the Sorell Football Club and I believe that they should be moved as soon as there is a suitable position for them.
Pembroke Park was built by the Sorell Sports Committee in 1983/1984.
The Changerooms were opened in 1984.
The two grounds and the changerooms were built by volunteer labour led by the committee, who were looking for a place for junior football and cricket. The leaders of this group were Allan Lovell and Peter Connell ( dec.)
They maintained the grounds for another ten years, before the council asked the Sorell Football Club to move over there. The council started to assist with the maintenance and upgrades of the main oval took place. The first mowing of the grounds was done by using a car to pull a gang mower. One of the first cars used was Denis Pigden’s green Woolsley. Sprinklers and heavy hoses were used for irrigation and were all moved by hand. Most of this and the mowing was done by Allan Lovell.
Alan played school football with Royce Hart and he invited him to the opening and still has the football signed by him, on the opening day.
Royce Hart played school football with Sorell. He was Vice Captain of the team. Only a hand full of players, who were Sorell Juniors have played VFL/AFL football. Royce Hart ( Richmond), Sam Iles (Collingwood), Tom Collier (Brisbane Lions). Alexander Gilmour was drafted by Richmond, but did not play a game.
The Pembroke opened in 1842. It also got its liquor licence the same year.
The Pembroke isn’t closed on public holidays, they welcome guests and diners.
The Pembrokes facilities are Tas keno (the biggest jackpot was $287,000), the pokies, pool (8 Ball) the Tote and a bottle shop.
The Pembroke also offers a pool tournament if you are interested in pool (8 Ball); we asked how much the Pembroke makes a year with the pokies but it is confidential!
To apply at the Pembroke Hotel as a kitchen hand you must be 14 years old or over. The average income for staff is 35,000-40,000 thousand dollars a year.
There is currently (2008) an ex-student from Sorell School working as a chef in the kitchen he makes really nice food! The Pembroke was involved in a robbery but the security is much better in Sorell now. There is a police station just around the corner.
There are currently no permanent guests at the Pembroke but there is believed to be a ghost. The prices range from $700 dollars a week in a 1 spa suit to $1116.95 for a 5 family apartment but sadly the Pembroke doesn’t have a Valentine’s room.
If you want a great place to stay come to the Pembroke Hotel in Sorell. There is the bird sanctuary, the local park, dance studio, events at the memorial hall (Karate, Dance, P.C.Y.C. etc) and a lot more. Come and stay and meet the friendly staff!